It’s been cold and rainy here, which means I’ve been in the mood for something a bit tropical and this barbecue chicken with pineapple barbecue sauce and coconut quinoa hit the spot!
I originally planned to marinate the chicken in the sauce overnight and then grill the chicken and veggies but I didn’t realize how powerful pineapple is at tenderizing meat. The chicken basically dissolved into mush – so avoid the marinating on this one if you plan to include the pineapple!
Since it had started raining again when I got back from the grocery with more chicken, I decided to sauté the chicken in the sauce and roast the veggies but both would also be fantastic grilled.
This is notably NOT low carb as most of my other recipe posts tend to be. But I was able to keep my other meals and snacks those days very low carb to come out in the moderate carb range anyway.
High Protein Barbecue Chicken and Coconut Quinoa
High Protein Barbecue Chicken and Coconut Quinoa Meal Prep
Quinoa (will have left over)
- 1 ½ cup quinoa
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 13.5 oz can of coconut milk
- 1 ½ cup water
- 2 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- ¾ cup barbecue sauce
- ¼ cup pineapple, finely chopped or pureed
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 large yellow bell pepper
- 2 coconut oil
- 2 tbsp sliced green onion
- 2 tbsp unsweetened coconut flakes
For the Veggies
- Preheat oven to 450° F. While oven is preheating, slice vegetables into large spears/slices and start cooking quinoa.
- Toss veggies in a bowl with 2tbsp melted coconut oil. Line baking sheet with tin foil or parchment paper. Optional: set cooling rack over lined baking sheet for better air circulation. Spread vegetables out evenly over lined baking sheet or cooling rack.
- Roast for 15-20 minutes until just starting to brown in spots. If not using cooling rack, turn halfway through.
For the Quinoa
- Melt 1 tbsp coconut oil in sauce pan and add quinoa. Lightly saute the quinoa, stirring frequently until golden.
- Add water and coconut milk and bring to simmer. Cover and cook for about 15 minutes until just under-done. (Slightly under-cooked quinoa heats better in the microwave later.)
For the chicken
- Dice chicken in approximately 3/4" pieces.
- Optional: marinate chicken in barbecue sauce for 30min-2hours
- Working in batches based on pan size, add ⅓ to ½ of chicken and barbecue sauce to a large saute pan over high heat.
- Cook, stirring frequently until chicken is cooked through and barbecue sauce has carmelized coating chicken.
- Add 1/2 cup quinoa to each tupperware. Divide chicken evenly between tupperwares. Divide pepper and zucchini evenly between tupperwares. Top with sliced green onions and coconut flakes.
- Leftover quinoa can be frozen or used for other meals.