This burger is so delicious and full of flavor. It’s also perfectly chewy – the exact texture you crave in a good burger. On top of all that, it’s filled with massive amounts of protein and tons of super healthy fiber. Enjoy!
High Protein Vegan Burger
- 1 cup
Textured Vegetable Protein
- 1 tbsp
Better Than Boillion Vegetable Base+ 1 cup boiling water (Or 1 cup boiling vegetable broth)
- 1/2 cup cooked pinto beans
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp low sugar barbecue sauce
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp each: garlic powder & onion powder
- 1/4 tsp liquid smoke
- 1/2 cup
vital wheat gluten
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- Add Better Than Boillion Vegetable Base to boiling water in a large bowl and stir to dissolve. (Alternatively add the boiling vegetable stock to large bowl.) Add the Textured Vegetable Protein to the bowl and stir well until most of the water is absorbed.
- In the bowl of a food processor, add the cooked beans, olive oil, barbecue sauce, nutritional yeast, spices, and liquid smoke. Process for 10-20 seconds, scraping down the sides if needed and process again until it forms a rough purée.
- Add the rehydrated TVP (including any broth in bottom of bowl) and process for 7-10 seconds, or until the TVP is very finely chopped, the mixture should look like bolognese sauce. You don’t want to have big chunks of TVP otherwise the burgers won’t hold together well.
- Transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl and add the vital wheat gluten. Mix using a wooden spoon first, and then knead with your hands for 2-3 minutes to develop the gluten. The mixture should be soft and have a slight elasticity.
- Divide the mixture into 3 and form patties. (I like to make mine square patties to go on sandwich bread but you do you!)
- Line baking sheet with foil or parchment paper and spray with nonstick spray. Place patties on baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes total, flipping patties 10 minutes in.